Animal advocates and lawmakers are gathering at an event sponsored by the Justice for Libre Animal Advocacy Group to promote two priority animal protection bills and raise awareness of the cruelties associated with puppy mills.
- SB 1154, PA’s Retail Sales bill, would require pet stores to source animals from shelters and rescues rather than from puppy mill operations and require license numbers to be posted with all puppies for sale to allow transparency for consumers. PA ranks among the worst states in the nation with regard to consumer complaints about puppy mill animals. Too often, the puppies are unsocialized to the point of serious behavior problems, sick, and/or dying. Conditions in many puppy mill operations are atrocious. Our society needs to take action to stop this cruelty.
- HB 1216, Animals in Distress or “the hot car bill,” will protect dogs and cats from distress in motor vehicles by allowing public safety professionals to remove unattended dogs/cats without liability for damages. Pets are unable to regulate body temperature in the manner that humans do. They can easily overheat or die if left in a hot vehicle even for a short amount of time. We need this bill passed into law to protect the animals and the safety officers who rescue them.
Media coverage is welcome and encouraged at this educational and informative event.
Excellent photo opportunities with legislative, professional, and canine attendees.
- K.C. Wenger and Jessica Blouch of Justice for Libre
- Kristen Tullo, PA State Director, The Humane Society of the United States
- Sens. Guy Reschenthaler (R-37), Andy Dinniman (D-19), and Rep. Jason Ortitay (R-46) – SB 1154
- Reps. Frank Farry (R-142) Dom Costa (D-21) – HB 1216
- Grace Kelly Herbert of Finding Shelter Animal Rescue
- Dr. Marc Abraham, founder of the animal welfare campaign Pup Aid and instrumental in the passage of Lucy’s Law to end third-party puppy and kitten sales in England
- Victoria Stilwell, a world-renowned dog behavior expert and author, star of Animal Planet’s It’s Me or the Dog, editor-in-chief of positively.com, CEO of Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Training (VSPDT), and executive director of the Victoria Stilwell Foundation
- Sen. Roy Afflerbach, Ret. of Humane PA
- Canine Special Guests and Puppy Mill Survivors
- Bulmers, Rep. Farry’s civic minded pup, the “PA Capitol Dog”
- Victoria and Sara, representing Finding Shelter Animal Rescue
- Heidi, representing A Tail to Tell Puppy Mill Rescue
- Tilly, representing Main Line Animal Rescue
- Happy Boy, representing Humane Society of Harrisburg Area
- Jupiter, representing Pittsburgh
- PA Capitol Media Center
- Monday, October 15, 2018 from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
- For more information, please contact Elise Argall, 717-787-5839